How to Make Very Simple Driftwood Sailboat Ornaments for Christmas
These sweet little driftwood sailboat ornaments were really simple and quick to make – literally 5 minutes for each one. And these handmade ornaments are a highlight on the tree but you could also attach them to a wreath or set them into a lush piece of holiday garland sitting on your mantel.
- Find your driftwood bottom pieces. Mine are from 4-5″ long. The cutest ones are the pieces that have a rounded bottom edge like a keel.
If you need driftwood pieces, we have driftwood in stock. 2-6″ pieces or 5-12″ pieces.
2. I used long think straight pieces for the mast but you could use a wooden dowel. Then just drill a hole in the main piece to accommodate your mast.
3. Before you glue the mast piece into the hole on the boat, you want to drill smaller holes in the top of the mast so you can string and hang the ornaments.
4. Attach the mast to the boat using a good glue. I’m using “Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue” which sets pretty quick and holds very well. I’m also using Peel and Stick Fabric Fuse which is one of the most useful tools to have in your crafting kit. I love this stuff. And of course, fishing filament to string the ornaments. You could also use a pretty ribbon.
5. Antique lace napkins or handkerchiefs work really well as the actual sail. I can usually find some vintage linens that work at thrift stores. I made sure to cut the corners that were already hemmed but you could actually use the Peel and Stick Fabric Fuse to turn under any edges. For the sale, I cut an uneven triangular shape (longer across the bottom) and I left the bottom edge unfinished.
6. Now just take your Peel and Stick Fabric Fuse and run a piece up the center of the sail and peel off the backing.
7. Lay your driftwood mast piece on the fuse glue and press it into the glue. Then attached the mast to your main boat piece using Aileene’s glue. Let it dry. Thread your fishing filament through the top hole on the mast and your done.
Want more ideas for driftwood ornaments? Check out our tutorial on making Driftwood Ornaments using candy or a holiday cloche (bell jar).